Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
AREA OF STUDY 2 - Health Care in Australia
This area of study investigates the health system in Australia. Students examine the functions of various entities that play a role in our health system. They inquire into equity of access to health services, as well as the rights and responsibilities of individuals receiving care. Students research the range of health services in their communities and suggest how to improve health and wellbeing outcomes and health literacy in Australia. They explore a range of issues associated with the use of new and emerging health procedures and technologies such as reproductive technologies, artificial intelligence, robotics, nanotechnology, three-dimensional printing of body parts and use of stem cells.
On completion of this unit the student should be able to describe how to access Australia’s health system, explain how it promotes health and wellbeing in their local community, and analyse a range of issues associated with the use of new and emerging health procedures and technologies. To achieve this outcome the student will draw on key knowledge and key skills outlined in Area of Study 2.
- key aspects of Australia’s health system such as Medicare, the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme and private health insurance
- the range of services available in the local community to support physical, social, emotional, mental and spiritual dimensions of health and wellbeing
- factors affecting access to health services and information
- rights and responsibilities associated with accessing health services, including privacy and confidentiality relating to the storage, use and sharing of personal health information and data
- opportunities and challenges presented by digital media in the provision of health and wellbeing information, for example websites, online practitioners and digital health apps
- issues such as ethics, equity of access, privacy, invasiveness and freedom of choice relating to the use of new and emerging health procedures and technologies
- options for consumer complaint and redress within the health system.
- describe key aspects of the health system
- research health services in the local community and explain which dimension/s of health each one supports
- identify and explain factors that affect people’s ability to access health services and information, including digital media, in Australia
- discuss rights and responsibilities of access to health services
- analyse issues such as ethics, equity of access, privacy, invasiveness and freedom of choice associated with the use of new and emerging health procedures and technologies
- explain the options for consumer complaint and redress within the health system.