Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
AREA OF STUDY 2
Health and nutrition
This area of study explores food and nutrition as foundations for good health and wellbeing. Students investigate the roles and sources of major nutrients and the use of food selection models and other tools to promote healthy eating. They look at the health and wellbeing consequences of dietary imbalance, especially for youth, and consider the social, cultural and political factors that influence the food practices of and food choices made by youth. They develop strategies for building health literacy and evaluating nutrition information from various sources, including advertisements and social media.
On completion of this unit the student should be able to apply nutrition knowledge and tools to the selection of food and the evaluation of nutrition information. To achieve this outcome the student will draw on key knowledge and key skills outlined in Area of Study 2.
- the function and food sources of major nutrients important for health and wellbeing
- the use of food selection models and other tools to promote healthy eating among youth, such as the Australian Guide to Healthy Eating, the Healthy Eating Pyramid and the Health Star Rating System
- the consequences of nutritional imbalance in youths’ diet on short- and long-term health and wellbeing
- sources of nutrition information and methods to evaluate its validity
- tactics used in the marketing of foods and promoting food trends to youth, and the impact on their health behaviours
- social, cultural and political factors that act as enablers or barriers to healthy eating among youth, including nutrition information sourced from social media and/or advertising.
- explain the functions of major nutrients for general health and wellbeing
- describe the possible consequences of nutritional imbalance in youths’ diet on short- and long-term health and wellbeing Unit 1: Understanding health and wellbeing VCE Health and Human Development 2018–2022 10
- evaluate the effectiveness of food selection models and other tools in the promotion of healthy eating among youth
- evaluate the validity of food and nutrition information from a variety of sources
- analyse the interaction between a range of factors that act as enablers or barriers to healthy eating among youth.
Booklet - Topic Four
Health and Nutrition - Topic 4 - Nutrition and Youth Health and Well-Being